Circuit training is a series of exercises in a short period of time, that target many muscle groups. This type of work out is ideal for toning up your body and getting your heart rate high. Circuit training is a fast-pace exercise routine with little to no time in between machines and only lasts for about a half hour! You may find this type of exercise to be more exciting, rewarding and less time consuming than your normal work out routine! Some gyms have circuit training rooms with a CD playing to instruct exercisers when to rotate machines.
Start off your circuit training work out with your normal routine of stretches and get ready to sweat! Bring a timer with you to keep track of the time while rotating.
Each station should last 60 seconds. You will need hand weights, a step usually used in step aerobic exercises, medicine ball and an exercise ball as well as the machines provided at the gym.
1. For the first 60 seconds, get your heart rate up with some jumping jacks.
2. For the second 60 seconds, use a machine that works your arms. Try a machine like this.
3. For the third rotation, complete sit ups. To make this work out more difficult, use a medicine ball. Try some of these other abdominal exercises to vary it up.
4. During the fourth rotation, try a combination of lunges and squats. Make sure that you keep the weight of your body more in your heels than
your toes. During a squat, your legs should be aligned with your shoulders, not too far apart and not too close. Improper form while squatting may cause injuries. Check out this link to make sure you won’t injure yourself!
5. For the fifth rotation, pick up your set of hand weights and complete exercises like these. Start with your arms hanging on both sides of your body with a weight in each hand. Pull the weight up while keeping your arm close to your body. Repeat.
6. The sixth rotation will be burpees. Start by getting into the push up position, perform one push up, then bring your legs to your chest as you’re about to stand up, instead of just rising up, jump up into the air with your arms above your head. Check out this video to help perfect your burpees. Do as many as you can during the 60 seconds!
7. For the next sixty seconds, you will be performing wood chops. Grab one of your heavier hand weights and get into the squatting position. Hold the weight with both hands out in front of you. As you move your body down during the squat, move the weight down. As you rise back up, gradually move the weight until it is above your head. Repeat as many as you possibly can! Your legs will be burning after this station! Watch this video for further explanation.
8. Since your lower body was just worked out, try working your abs. Sit on top of the exercise ball, with your legs on the ground. Angle yourself so that your back is not lying on the ball, but that your body is in an upright position. Bend your back so it curves with the ball, then sit back up. Try these crunches for the next 60 seconds. To achieve the best results possible, make sure your form is correct by watching this video.
9. For the ninth rotation, complete as many push ups as you can. To avoid injury and gain muscle, make sure you’re performing this exercise properly. Check out this video for proper instructions.
10. You’re going to get an aerobic work out for the next minute by using the step. Follow this video on beginner stepping.
Repeat all then stations for a twenty minute work out. That is how to get a good work out in just a little time.